Monday 16 May 2016

Me Made May Week 2 Round-up

Well, it's the 16th of May which means we are officially over half-way through Me Made May already! Crazy.

I wasn't as consistent last week at taking a pic every day of what I was wearing. Partly this was because I got sick of it, and partly it was laziness and/or slopping around the house in something that didn't need to be photographed! On days which are not photographed here, I was either wearing my Moji pants or my new feathery Washi dress which I posted about last week. Still me-made, but around home there are starting to be some wardrobe repeats. I don't mind that - I wouldn't expect to wear a different thing every day of the month whether I bought or made my clothes. I guess what's interesting will be which items get the most repeats!

I was determined to wear my Adelaide dress on Tuesday, even though it wasn't that warm! Worked well with leggings and a cardi (RTW) though! 

Drama Dress worn on Wednesday. This dress makes me sigh. It had stretched out in the bodice again already, so before wearing it, I unpicked the underarm hem, took it in by 1.5cm each side, and then restitched the hem. I could probably afford to lift the shoulders too, but am getting sick of it. It's SO annoying because this dress is perfect otherwise - so cosy and warm and comfy! 
On Friday (or was it Thursday? Losing track...losing my mind) I wore my Linden Sweatshirt which definitely qualifies as a favourite make. I LOVE this contrast jumper. It has all the comfort of Linden, but is just fancy enough that you can wear it with heels and lippy and feel dressed up. Perfect! 

We went out for tea on Saturday and I wore my crepe Laurel dress. Not sure I've blogged about this one but I love it. That dress is so different when made in drapey fabric. It's super comfy and easy to wear, and I love the bright print. The bust darts are really too high on this, but non-sewing people don't tend to notice so I wear it anyway. The other pic is the giant bunch of flowers I took to the friend - almost the same height as me! ;-) 


Weird Rambly Thoughts/Reflections from Week 2:
 - I definitely find dresses (certain kinds - Moneta and Washi being high on that list) to be more comfortable than jeans. I'm increasingly much more likely to want to wear a dress with leggings on a day that will be spent largely at home sitting at my desk or on the couch in the conservatory, than I am likely to want to wear jeans. I am sloooowly adjusting my brain to accept that wearing a dress is not weird or overly 'dressy'. This feels like progress, and a positive use of my hand-made clothing!
 - After making the Adelaide dress last week, I've realised how much I love the idea of button down garments. I've honestly not worn a single button down garment since high school (and the button-down shirts we had to wear as part of our uniform)! I can't buy RTW shirts or dresses with front-buttons because of the boob situation (ie. I'm a 12 in the bust, 10 in the waist and an 8 in the hips), but at some point I obviously decided that I also didn't really like the style (maybe it was a 'if they don't like me, I don't like them' thing). It's actually really delightful to realise that I can wear them if I sew them myself, and I that like the look! I have plans a-foot for my first shirt-dress, and another Adelaide.
 - I said I was bored of taking photos, but I'm not sure if it's boredom exactly. I think I feel a bit embarrassed of taking so many photos!! I've never been very comfortable in front of the camera, and I LOATHE a candid photo (death to anyone who dares to take a candid shot of me and tag it on Facebook without checking with me first!), so I've found it quite unsettling to spend so much time taking photos of myself, and thinking about taking photos of myself. I can't decide if it's making me feel more or less confident! Also, you should know that the photos I do share are usually the one good shot of about 20 bad ones (...and that quite frankly, I wish I looked like the girl in my Instagram pics! Is that me?!)
 - While I'm bored senseless of taking photos every-day for MMM, I am genuinely loving seeing everyone else's photos on Instagram. Sewing people - you are SO creative and amazing!! It's properly delightful to see such an incredible range of gorgeous handmade garments, and to see everyone celebrating them. It's a little bit awe-inspiring. The work and skill that goes into all this sewing is wonderful and I feel proud of not just my own makes, but pride in this talented community more generally! You guys rock!  

2 comments:

  1. This is my favourite part of MMM - mid-month when people have started to suss out what they wear most, and why. It's fascinating! I know exactly what you mean about feeling dresses are overly dressy - I wear dresses so rarely that my family comment on them when I do, which only makes it worse. I think I should probably follow your lead and just start wearing them more often around the house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, sorry I didn't see this message until now! (stupid Blogger - where are my email alerts!?) It's so interesting getting a chance to properly think about what we wear and how it makes us feel, isn't it?! I am definitely the same as you with dresses...but I think more casual styles make it feel easier to wear them around the house. Anything that doesn't require a zip to fasten for me feels a lot less 'fancy' - go the elastic waistbands! ;-)

      Delete