Monday 21 September 2015

My First Moneta!

So, I'm about a year behind the sewing 8-ball on this (because everyone else in the whole sewing world has long since realised the amazingness of the Colette Patterns Moneta Dress) but hey - better late than never!

I present - my most amazing Moneta Dress!


I sewed a straight-up medium based on boob measurements, and it fits perfectly (hurrah knit fabrics and no need for FBAs and pesky things like that) and it was really easy to make. The hardest part was having to order clear elastic online and wait for the delivery!

The fabric is a thick-ish black knit that I got at one of the shops on Goldhawk Road (next door to A1 I think, although honestly so much fabric was bought that day, it's hard to remember!). I *think* it's a ponte, but I'll admit I'm guessing. It's got this overlaid/embossed black pattern over it which I just love. It looks sort of fancy, but it's jersey, so it's the biggest cheat ever.

The reason it's taken me so long to make a Moneta is that I was certain this was going to be one of those patterns that streaks through the sewing cybersphere like a bat outta hell with rave reviews, but that is not actually something that would suit me. One of the things I'm slowly getting better at with sewing is learning what fabrics and patterns are things I'll actually wear (and that will suit me). I never wear gathered skirts and so I was sure that while Moneta would be comfy, I didn't think I would like it on me style-wise. I am delighted to say I was wrong. If anything, this might be my new fave silhouette! It gives me a tiny waist!! (in fact, the friend I had visiting when I finished it and tried it on asked if I'd lost weight because I looked "tiny". HA. My summer of gorging on booze and fried stuff says otherwise, but I'm happy as hell if the dress disguises it!).

And finally - how on god's green earth have I gone so long without having pockets in my dresses?? No more! From now on, everything must have pockets!

I have already made another Moneta made, bar the hemming and top stitching. It's turned out quite different to this one, as it's a much softer, drapey knit, but it's also super cute. I will post on that soon! (I fear this is going to be my new sewing obsession. Bring on the army of Monetas!)


No comments:

Post a Comment