Sunday 13 September 2015

Cherry, cherry baby...

A new dress! Cute, no? It's another Tilly Buttons Megan dress, and its making has not been without its drama! But the finished product is cute, I think. Just what I had in mind...



So, the first issue I had making this was that I cut the bloody fabric up the wrong way! I had it in mind it was a random pattern, but nope. Once I opened it out, I realised the pattern was very directional. Oy. I had thankfully bought enough to squeeze another skirt and bodice out, so it was all ok in the end. 

Then, somehow, I lost the sleeve pieces. They just vanished. Poof! How can you lose pattern pieces?? (actually, I shouldn't ask this, because this is the second Megan dress that I've lost the sleeves for. The first is a UFO that I got in a hissy fit over trying to pattern match, and when the sleeves vanished, I gave up!). My OH reckoned he'd seen fabric looking very similar to my cherry dress lying on the ground down the street. I scoffed. How would it get there? No. We must have thrown them out as scraps. But then yesterday, I had to walk to the shop for milk. And what should I see on my travels than a very soggy, very muddy sleeve!! HOW DID IT GET THERE? Seriously. It's been missing at least 10 days! SO weird. And where's the other one?? 



Anyway, I washed it when I got it home, but it was a lost cause. Thankfully becasue of the earlier cutting out issues, I had a front skirt piece I'd cut up the wrong way that was big enough to squeeze another two sleeves out of. Oy again! 

I do have some fit issues though - this wavy back zip thing. It happens with all my dresses that have zips up the back. It's like there's too much fabric. I'm sure there must be a standard fit alteration I can make to stop this - maybe it's a sway back adjustment? I don't really think I have a sway back though, to be honest. I'd LOVE suggestions/help on this if anyone has ideas. It drives me crazy. 



But, now, after all that, I have a new cute dress and I really like it. We're coming into winter so I'll just wear it with a cardigan or blazer and no one will see the wavy zip thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment