Wednesday 23 November 2016

Hello...it's me....

So. Um. Wow. It's been a very long time. Maybe my longest hiatus ever. I'm sorry for being such a bad blogger. I really hate that I am. It's been (and in fact, still is) so so busy at work since late September - I've hardly even been on Instagram (and I miss it!). I had a sudden trip home to NZ mid-September, and have been basically running at full speed since I got back. Working most weekends has also majorly eaten into my sewing time, which is the main reason for the lack of posts. That and my inability to take photos of what I've sewn....

Anyway. Enough self-flagellation. Let's get to the sewing. I've made 3 dresses since September, and I'm finally getting around to blogging about my favourite of the lot. The Wardrobe by Me Akinori Dress! This is her:
Pretty, huh?

I'm not sure how I found this pattern. Some weird, roundabout online searching must have gotten me there, but it's not a pattern company I'd heard of. And when I searched for reviews etc of the dress itself, I didn't find many. Someone on the Curvy Sewing Collective had done a review I think. But I really just loved the shape. I wanted something that had the look and comfort of a wrap dress, but is not actually a wrap dress. This one just intrigued me...

I made it up in some beautiful stretch crepe I got for a total bargain at the Birmingham Rag Market when I went to Sew Brum in late September. It was £2 a metre! I've since seen Lisa from Sew Over it wearing a dress in the same, and if they were selling it at Sew Over It, then it was a whole lot more than £2 a metre, so I'm feeling a bit smug! Nowt like a bargain to make a girl smile!

Since it was so cheap, I didn't bother doing a toile - just figured if it was a disaster, then it wouldn't have cost me much. I think I had 2 metres, which is a little bit less than recommended. Because the top is cut on the bias, you do need close to the right amount though and certainly the right width (60"), just FYI. I didn't have quite enough for a tie the length recommended - I basically just cut the longest I could manage and that's fine. I think I was about 10 inches short of the recommendation, but it is still plenty long.

I made an 8, even though that was slightly on the small side of some of my measurements, but it's got loads of ease and is a drapey fit, so I thought it would be ok - and it is. Yay! The only alteration I made was to hack a chunk off the bottom...but I did that at the hemming stage, not at the cutting stage. Oh, and I added pockets. Because, well, pockets! (the skirt looked roomy enough to handle them. I used the pockets from the Staple Dress and I will definitely be adding these to any future versions. They work really well in this shape, and yay pockets!).

I was a bit intimidated by the pattern, to be honest, because the bodice is a slightly odd shape, and that always scares me. Plus the instructions are not as detailed as other indy companies. I wouldn't recommend it if you're still very much a beginner. It went together really easily though, despite my fears. The only bit I had trouble with was the waist-band anchoring. My overly tired brain could not work out the written instructions for this, so in the end I just followed the diagram images and hoped for the best. I very nearly unpicked at one point when I was sure I'd got it wrong, but instead I just persevered, sewing the various bits right sides together and hoping it would work out. It did! I am honestly still not sure what I did, or how it worked, but it did and that's the main thing! Apart from that fiddly bit, the rest of the construction is super easy, and as a faux wrap dress, it doesn't really have fit issues.



I've worn this dress a lot since finishing it. It's come out looking a lot more Japanese kimono than I intended, but that's only because I inadvertently picked fabric that looks like actual kimono fabric! This was an accident - I used the fabric that I had, rather than thinking it would be good. So it does feel a bit dressy, but I think that's the fabric choice and it doesn't bother me. I'd love to make one in black crepe for a proper evening dress, and then try it in a more casual fabric - the instructions say it can work in woven or jersey fabric. I also think it will look pretty in a plain fabric, as you'll be able to see all the pattern details. It's super comfortable to wear, there's never any boob flash (always a risk with a faux wrap style!), and really, this is just my new favourite dress! Two big thumbs up from me - I wholly recommend it!

I also love that I've discovered another indy designer. There are some big players in this indy field, as we know - and I love many of them too - but it's nice to find a lesser known person who is making great patterns. Wardrobe by Me is also great because many of their designs have a curvy option too, so if you often have to make FBAs or grade up on a pattern, I'm thinking this would be a good choice.

The real reason I'm finally blogging this dress, though, is because I finally have a decent picture of it! I wore it at a week long research 'festival' I hosted at my work (on 'Craft Cultures'. My job is so cool sometimes), and we had a professional photographer. Bless her and her magical camera ways. Finally some great pics on my blog!

My colleague and I introducing our guest speakers

Me in full work-talk mode (mouth open, naturally. I'm talking in almost every photo ever taken of me)

Hope you are all well and sewing happily. Thanks for sticking with me through my quiet times!!

xoxo

P.S - full credit for the proper pictures goes to our fabulous photographer Patricia Routh - her website is here! https://patriciarouth.smugmug.com/ 

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive Jess you make some lovely clothes the wardrobe must be bulging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your article. free online courses in india with certificates. any one in world can learn free.

    ReplyDelete