Tuesday 7 June 2016

Reflections on Me Made May


Yes, yes, I know we're already a week (!!???) into June, so this post is late. Add that to the list of stuff I'm running late with!

So, as promised, and as has become de rigueur, here are my thoughts/reflections/conclusions about this year's Me Made May. They're a bit rambly, sorry! But then, one of my goals was to become a more thoughtful sewist...and I've definitely done a LOT of thinking about my clothes this month!


 - I didn't take as many pictures as there were days. Sorry about that. I found the photography part much much harder work than I expected. I felt really quite conflicted about the whole process of taking my own photo so regularly. I may yet write a whole post about my thoughts on photos and sewing. I might not, too, because like I said, I'm running late with practically everything right now! 




 - From the pics I do have, it's clear that I wore a lot of dresses. Like, way more than I would have imagined. Does this mean I'm a dress person now?? How exciting! I'm definitely more comfortable wearing certain dresses at home (hi Washi pattern, I love you), though I still feel a bit weird wearing them in other situations (lazy Sunday at the pub, for eg.). I've been thinking about this, and have realised that it's more about me feeling worried or self-conscious about how other people will respond to what I'm wearing than it is anything else. One of my lovely reader/commenters, Janet, mentioned this - that family members comment when she wears dresses. I seem to live in fear that people will pass comment or judgement on me if I rock up to something wearing a dress. I'm really quite surprised to have discovered this, and more than a little bit disappointed in myself to be honest! If you had asked me, I'd have said that I dress to please myself, but I fear it's not fully the case. So (and forgive the bluntness here, but) I think it's time to say - bollocks to THAT. I have lovely dresses, and most of them are more comfortable than jeans and more importantly, they make me happy. So friends and colleagues and random strangers at the pub: I will henceforth be wearing dresses all summer and if you don't like it, tough!
(In actual fact, most people don't really care. Do you care when you see people wearing something you wouldn't? No, right? Maybe we have the occasional raised eyebrow, but then we go back to our own gin and tonic and stop thinking about it. This is about my weird hang-ups, not the imagined judgement of other people)

 - I wore a lot of repeats at home, even including the dresses. My flowery and feathery Washi dresses, and my Mabel skirts got a lot of wear, as did the unpictured Moji pants. I do need more comfy trousers for times I just don't fancy wearing a dress. Such times do exist, particularly when it's a bit colder (yes, hi, I'd like to play my 'I live in Britain' card once more. thanks). On that note, I just signed up for the Sew Over It new online trouser course so hopefully I'll have time sometime soon to make the Carrie trousers and a well-fitting pair of Ultimate Trousers.

 - I loved seeing everyone else's makes all month. I might have felt exhausted by the photos, but other people's pics were amazing and such fun to see. The brightness and variety of homemade clothing never fails to make me smile, and I feel so lucky to get to take part in that. Thanks fellow Me Made May-ers - you guys are awesome!



 - I sewed from my stash! And I sewed a LOT (by my normal standards). Guys, I made 5 dresses in May. Bloody hell! I don't even quite know how that happened! I blame the sunshine. I'm really pleased with myself that it was all stash-sewing too. I had to buy a large quantity of wool fabric in May, which is for a mystery project I'll post about soon, but otherwise I don't think I really bought any fabric in May. Nice work me! Me Made May pledge achieved! *pats self on the back*

There might be a bit of slow down on the making of stuff for a while, because work is about to get much busier and until end of next week I don't envision much in the way of sewing time. But I have LOTS of sewing plans for when I do have time, so stay tuned.

How was your Me Made May? Any surprising discoveries about your wardrobe or yourself?!

 - 

9 comments:

  1. Well done on achieving your pledge and all the stash sewing! I really want the Washi dress pattern after seeing your versions on Instagram - that's the dangerous side of Me Made May.

    Trousers were one of my gaps too, so I've also signed up for the Sew Over It Trouser course. I need all the fitting help I can get! I really like the Carrie trousers even though they are waaay out of my comfort zone style wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yay! We'll have to compare notes! The Carries are a bit out of my comfort zone too, to be honest, tho so were the Mojis and they are sooo comfy! I reckon we'll be converts 😊

      And you should totally get the Washi dress...it's so so good! X

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessica - (I've been away on holiday so I'm also running a bit late on this...). I'll pledge to join you in wearing dresses more often. Starting tomorrow. Now I just need to buy more sandals to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's the dress pledge going Janet? Are you managing? Enjoying?? The weather won't be helping much!!

      Delete
    2. OK, thanks. I've worn my Moneta more, and a denim shirtdress I made back in 2012 suits the working at home vibe too. I'm enjoying getting more wear out of them, and so far no one's made an 'ooh, look at you' type comment.

      How about you? I'm also thinking we totally need a hashtag for Instagram. Maybe #alldressedupwithnowheretogo?

      Delete
    3. Janet I'm so pleased you're wearing the Moneta more...and I love the sound of the denim shirt-dress!! Let's totally do #alldressedupwithnowheretogo on IG!! I'm in!! (and sorry for epic delay again in replying. WHY AM I NOT GETTING COMMENT ALERTS BLOGGER.COM??)

      Delete
  3. Love your dresses Jess, especially the one with the pixie colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's do it! I'll excavate the darkest corner of my wardrobe tomorrow and see what else is lurking there...

    ReplyDelete