Monday 9 May 2016

Filling the dress-sized hole in my wardrobe: Part 1

So, as I said in my last post, the weather has finally started warming up here in the UK, and it immediately makes me want to swish about in dresses. And yet, when I went to my wardrobe to find a relaxed dress to throw on, I found I had very few to choose from. That surprised me to be honest! I figured I must have loads. Nope! I have my Washi dress, which is perfect in warm weather, but there's not much else. All my Monetas are quite wintery, and my Cocos are mostly too short to wear without leggings. Similarly I have a lovely crepe Laurel dress (which I don't think I've blogged about actually) which I really like, but A. it's a tad short without leggings, and B. the bust dart is too high (that bothers me most when I know people who sew will see it. Non-sewists don't realise or care about such fit issues I don't think!).

What I need are a few more dresses which I could wear with leggings and a cardy if the weather turns back to our normal 'moderate' but which will also be nice to wear while baring my arms and pasty-white legs when things warm up.

When I went to get dressed yesterday, I was faffing about unable to decide and thought I was going to have to break my MMM pledge and wear a RTW skirt and top. Then I remembered I'd mostly made another Washi dress a couple of weeks ago, only to decide it didn't look right (too 'poofy' in the skirt) and had left it unfinished. I gave it another look yesterday and decided I did quite like it after all. And all it needed was some bias binding around the arm holes (I'd decided against sleeves for this one) and hemming.

20 minutes later, boom - new dress!

This version doesn't sit as nicely in the skirt as my first one. Not sure why exactly. It's the pockets - they stick out a bit. I would say that it's because I'm using a medium weight cotton, but the pattern is drafted for that type of fabric. I think the next one I make (there will be more!) I'll cut a size smaller in the skirt piece because I always end up taking it in. Maybe less fabric will keep the puffiness to a minimum.

Anyway. First dress-sized hole in my wardrobe is plugged! This is the perfect summer dress for me. Fitted enough to have some shape, but comfy enough that I don't feel constricted or uncomfortable.





Sorry you have to see my scarily white legs. I'd like to say they'll get less white as summer wears on, but that would be a lie. They will stay this particularly vivid shade of blue-white no matter how much sun they see. Not sure I really care anymore! They are what they are!




No comments:

Post a Comment